Friday, May 14, 2010

Of Summoning Wars and RakNet

When I found out that Summoning Wars, it in fact uses a freely licensed network library, I wanted to test it, but failed at compiling. Today, with fresh Subversion checkout, I succeeded and was surprised by a Diablo-rules-style RPG with 3D graphics (OGRE) a lot of dialog (hours and hours of tutorials ;) ), choices, different character classes and various spells and items.
Sarcophagus open up! (And let me take precious loot!)

Enlightening zombies in a dark cave with fireballs

Leaving loot behind

Why am I  even writing these captions?

Action-RPG GUI layout 101: Left: Character, Right: Skills or Inventory

Scaring goblins to death with a lovely mask

4-way dialog sequences make plot confusing fun!


Video: Rescuing some NPC [.ogg (shorter)]

I wonder what the network part is all about. I could imagine cooperative plot-games to be fun.. Anyways, about the net lib:

The popular network library RakNet is neither open source nor free software, as defined by OSI and FSF. However, version 2.451 (Feb 18th 2006) is GPL-licensed. It can be found via the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine [zip mirror]. The developers of Summoning Wars mirrored some version as well and even created an Arch Linux AUR package.

The owner of RakNet commented on GPL in commercial game development.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning my AUR package. :) There's also one for sumwars I made too. I basically search this blog for games I think are cool and then make AUR packages for them if none exists.

qubodup said...

>I basically search this blog for games I think are cool and then make AUR packages for them if none exists.
That's awesome! :3

Bruno9779 said...

I have managed to compile from svn a week ago, but now I get an error when compiling, it seems related to the gui.

I will try again in a revision or so

qubodup said...

@Bruno9779 make sure to use cmake, not ./configure. I did that mistake today, but realized what I was doing wrong quickly. Current svn r1882 compiles fine for me.

Bruno9779 said...

I am not familiar with cmake, but yesterday it worked with ./configure && make.
It really looks revision related

qubodup said...

to use cmake:
`cmake . && make`

Michael Mui said...

"Why am I even writing these captions?"

Because they are funny :) Keep up the good work!

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.