There's quite a few updates that have not caught the public eye in the last few days:
- Freeciv 2.1.3 is a maintenance release with mainly bug fixes
- FreeCol 0.7.3 which includes new map and tutorial features (announcement)
- Glest 3.0 is ready and brings with it network play and gameplay balances (announcement)
- SST:LD 2.1 (Glest Starship Stroopers mod) which is now available as a standalone download (announcement)
- Ultimate Stunts 0.7.4 (3D driving sim) which has graphical improvements - smoke effects, nicer sky - and a better track editor (news page)
- Stendhal 0.66 which has new features... which... I'm not sure what they are - something to do with the server providing new ways of storing data (renting areas/houses or something)
- Open Clou! gets a Sourceforge project
- Iris2 (3D Ultima Online client) has seem some awesome improvements in it's graphical capabilities - see the dev blog for more info
NewCol is, "a game based on a classic map engine displaying forests, rivers, mountains and seas with a textured relief map, gaussian random number generator and z-buffer like algorithm." It's obviously inspired a bit by colonization, but it looks very original in it's design. I wasn't able to find a direct link to the screenshots page so you'll have to go their yourself.
Finally, one of my favourite projects Scourge has seen some great improvements lately. There's a lot more people contributing to the game and, thanks to the increased visibility of Free media out there, has gained some impoved models. The SVN version of Scourge is pretty damn good and the game only really needs some decent character models to become one of the more impressive Free Software games available.
Do you want to find some open source media for your game? Then these are the two places you should start:
- Free 3D and 2D art and audio resources on the FreeGameDev wiki
- Free Art Search, a tool for searching for open source images
Uh... I posted way more than I intended to... I need a cup of tea!